Monday, September 19, 2011

A letter to Josh

A young Director, Producer and Actor asked for some guidance today on writing a good proposal.  It's so fun when I am asked to evaluate something.  I love the enthusiasm these fresh faces bring to me.
I decided to include this in my blog today since there are some common mistakes that people make when they create a Proposal for film or television.
These points do not include the proposal process all the way, but they are some very good tips that anyone could use
Hello Josh,

I really thought it was very good.  I think that it was nice that you have put a personality to the Proposal.
Here are my notes for you.
You had one spelling error.  Read it out loud to yourself and then have someone else check it.  Spelling and Grammar are imperative. 
List all Players with 1 paragraph Bio's each time you add someone.  It was good that you did that but needs to go in the beginning.  This is also where you would want to add Why this project is important to you and how you would sell it.  Explain "What makes this person important to this project"?
Make sure you sell them on the projects "Uniqueness"  If it is similar tell why this one is so different?
When you are discussing the story write the sentences in the form as if it is happening right in front of them.  What do they see?  Example: Jeremy and I are walking across the blood riddled football field, when two shots are heard.  That' how the project will be captivating.
Leave off No Producers TBD
This should be done page by page so it looks organized..Great job and let me know what else you might need.

No comments:

Post a Comment