Friday, January 6, 2012

Entertainment Professionals Charge Consultation Fees

 Managers, and other professionals in the entertainment industry have the ability to charge a fee for consultation. 
Before opening your wallet ask yourself what you are paying for,  and is it worth it?  
It could be?  How do you determine if it's worth it or not?
Does the person have credibility?  I have been in the Entertainment business for over 20 years.  I'm a great resource and have a lot of real connections.  I make sure that after the consultation the person leaves with a feeling like their money was well spent because I give them tons of information.  I also have recommendations from people that have worked with me. 
Legally,  I am able to charge a fee for someone who wants to take the 20+ years I have had gaining experience and knowledge to pick my brain.  There is a lot of research that goes into becoming a professional. 
Depending on the state you live in there could be laws for professionals for charging fees.
California requires Talent Agents to be licensed and they cannot refer you to photographers or other professionals that sell you portfolio's or training.   Be sure to check your state's laws and requirements. 
Getting an agent here also requires a referral at times.  What does this mean?  Unless the agent knows you they won't meet with you unless someone they know and trust give you a referral. Often you can contact the agency and talk to the receptionist and ask what the person requests as protocol for working with you.  In the state of California, if an agent charges you a consultation fee,  run!
Many times I will require an appointment and a small fee to spend an hour of my time to give consultation.  My time is minimal and very valuable to me.  If I didn't do that I would be spending most of my time talking to people wanting to pursue careers and not spending time doing my other responsibilities like Sales, Advertising, Marketing, Running a Business, Finding Camera Operators and Editors work, returning emails and phone calls, writing proposals and bids, sending submissions...etc. (you get the picture).  Over the past two days I have had 3 people request information from me.  One is asking me to seek representation for thier dog?
Last night after 8pm a cab driver dropped by my studio and asked if he could give me a cd with music that he wants to have published for commercial use.  He asked if he could discuss with me how to go through the process?
I run a business, I have business hours and my time is valuable so for this person I kindly explained that I charge $50 for consultation and it needs to be done by appointment.  When he returns,  I will have people for him to contact,  ideas for him to enhance his goals, and a solid game plan.  I think it's well worth the small fee that he is paying for the amount of research and development of his career?  Don't you?  I also think it was fair for me to request the fee and an appointment as my studio is closed after 6pm. 
If you are in the Entertainment business don't feel bad for charging fees to people who might suck the life out of you.  It's business, not personal.
If you are someone wanting to be in the business, pay for the consultation or do the research yourself? it's as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment