Saturday, December 3, 2011

An Aspiring Writer, Requests Work

An aspiring writer befriended me on Twitter not too long ago.  We have bantered back and forth about varying topics. He tweeted several comments in response to my "Stop Working for Free" campaign. 

One day he sent me a Tweet asking me about work.   I must admit, I was taken back by his lax way of applying for a job.  I explained to him that not knowing his skill set I would need to see a resume, I scolded him in a sense saying it's more traditional practice to send a resume and cover letter when applying for work.

Now, I'm sure that many Producers out there would never bother with someone that would not benefit them.  However, I believe that everyone needs a little direction at times.  It's my way of giving back to the community. I clearly saw that he needed some help.

 After reading his resume I made several notes and then set up a time to give him a consultation. What impressed me the most about this young man was that he took my advice and within hours he had a new job and made some additional contacts. 

He really blew me away when he said that if it wasn't for me telling him to stop doing all the free work out there, he wouldn't have pursued other areas.  I'm extremely blessed and honored to have had the chance to serve him.  I wish him the best of luck. I know that he will seek and find lots of opportunity.

The entertainment industry is a magical industry, and right now I feel like a fairy godmother. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment