Monday, November 28, 2011

Craigslist And the Ban for Doing work for FREE

For quite some time now I've been seeing a wicked trend of  Film Makers working for Credit and sometimes a meal, instead of money.   This is a trend that needs to Cease and Desist.  I hope to describe to anyone reading this blog why.  I also have a special request afterwards. Here is the reason we need to stop working for free:
1.   The Economy.  In order for our economy to improve we need to spend money.  If you work for Credit/Meal you may not have to buy groceries. However,  while you stock up on Craft services (place gently in pockets) What about shopping, Dining, and Rent?  I can't pay rent with an IMDb credit.  Where does the IMDb credit get you these days, anyway?  No one cares that I was Ashley Olsen's (Olsen Twins) Stunt Devil and Stand in when she was 14! No one cares that I've been a Co-Producer of a National TV show.  No one cares that I was the spokesperson for Coleman Campers.  To the best of my knowledge people who want to hire me as a Producer are looking for someone who can handle the damn job!  Most of the time, I'm sure they don't even know what the IMDb stands for.
2.   No other profession expects their people to work for such nonsense.  At least when you intern as a medical professional there is a good chance you will be hired for pay.  The biggest reason is taking pride in what we do.  I work my ass off every day to be the best damn producer I can be and I am well worth the money I charge for the work I do.  To work for no pay is a slap in the face! When I see ads for Editor's and they are offered $8.00 an hour it's embarrassing.   I understand that people just starting out need to get their big feet through the door.  However, when we continue to allow people to take advantage of us, we'll get taken.
3.  A Talent Manager I worked for back in the 80's (yea that's right, I'm old) gave me the best advice ever "The Entertainment Industry is a business.  It's a Multi Trillion dollar business that was made up of dreams.  Just remember it's still a business".  That was by far the best thing anyone could have ever told me. 
It's also the hardest part for an artist (as we all are) because we went to Film School instead of Business School.  Try going to Business School and telling them that you work for free on the majority of your projects.  I'm sure the students would say "You gotta put in your time".
I love this industry and have had some of my best experiences working with people like Bruce Willis, Ed Asner, Michael Gross, Connie Stevens, Mary Kate and Ashley, Just to name a few.  I have been fortunate to be paid well on a lot of these projects.  As a professional business woman I am asking that you all start realizing your credits will only get you so far.  What's the difference if you have credits but have to end your dream, because you had to take on Full Time work to pay your bills.  What happens then? Do you think that your next employer will care that you almost spilled coffee on John Lithgow?
I'd like everyone to realize that You are worth more than that.  Take the time to answer the Craigslist Ads and let people know We are done working for free.  If they want a video or graphics to be done, they will have to get a budget and pay for it.  Just like I can't buy a Cheeseburger at the Jack in the Box on credit, they need to pay you for the work you performed.
I do offer consultation for free on the many ways to act as a business person in the Entertainment Industry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment